Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Talking retirement, Couture walks fine line with EA MMA game

Over the last few years, Randy Couture's relationship with the UFC has been a wild ride, to say the least. From late 2007 into 2008, he sat idle for 15 months as he battled with Dana White and the UFC over a new contract. Couture returned and has been part of some major fights to help MMA explode into the mainstream. But there are still some remnants lingering from the squabble. This week probably opened some old wounds as EA Sports released its MMA game featuring Couture alongside Fedor Emelianenko on the cover. The 15-month holdout allowed Couture to sign on as part of EA's efforts to produce a rival product to the UFC's game with THQ.

On Tuesday, Couture joined Fedor and several fighters from the Strikeforce roster in Los Angeles to promote the release. 

"It’s been delicate for sure," Couture [told the L.A. Times]. "I try and be as considerate as I can be of the position that I’m in and the position the UFC’s in. They have their own game. We managed to work around it. We try and be sensitive and not be too in-their-face about our position and where we’re at with this game."

The L.A. collaboration between the former UFC champ and Fedor must have fight fans thinking of what could've been. Couture, 47, doesn't have much time left and is now openly talking about retirement. He could walk away from the sport without ever having gotten a shot at Fedor in a much-coveted superfight.

"I'm not sure what I'm going to do," Couture told John Jay O'Regan from Fighter's Only Magazine. Couture said he'll be part of "The Expendables" sequel. That begins shooting in March.

"I don't know what's going to happen on the fight front," said Couture. "I've had my wars. I can still fight but I'm not sure I want to make another run at the title. I enjoy the sport, I enjoy the fighting but it's probably time to move on."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Talking-retirement-Couture-walks-fine-line-with?urn=mma-278849

sky surfing sky flying BASE jumping BMX Cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment