Sunday, August 28, 2011

Banner night for WEC studs: Cerrone is ready to go in six weeks in Denver

Well, that answers those questions. Anyone who still had doubts about how good some of lightweights were in World Extreme Cagefighting, can stop wondering. Yes, former WEC stars Donald Cerrone and Ben Henderson are right there with some of the best 155ers in the world.

The lightweights with Zuffa's smaller promoter always had to deal with the questions about why they weren't with the big boys in the UFC. When Zuffa folded the WEC into the UFC back in December, the fighters got a chance to control their own destiny. So far it's been a good run for most of the WEC veterans in the UFC and it continued last night as Henderson crushed Jim Miller and Cerrone was lights out against super prospect Charles Oliveira.

Cerrone (18-3, 3-0 UFC) won so quickly, he said he's ready to go in his home state of Colorado when the UFC lands there on Sept. 24.

"I want the Denver card coming up very soon. Hopefully nobody get hurt, but then I hope somebody gets hurt," joked Cerrone. "I told [UFC matchmaker] Joe [Silva], I'm the guy to call. I'll fight anybody, anywhere. I have to back that up."

Back to his WEC days, Cerrone has always been very self-critical following fights, even the wins. For once, he said he attacked like he wanted to.

"This is finally the first one that I actually [expletive] and bit. In training, I go hard. I get in a fight and I just ... I don't know," said Cerrone, who's an impressive 5-1 in his last six fights. "I think I kind of changed my training a little bit. I kind of warmed up a little bit differently. I think we're finally getting it. We're figuring out the secret recipe on how to get 'Cowboy' going."

Currently, there's only one lightweight fight scheduled for UFC 124 in Denver and that's Nate Diaz against Takanori Gomi. A week earlier in New Orleans, Shamar Bailey faces Evan Dunham.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Banner-night-for-WEC-studs-Cerrone-is-ready-to-?urn=mma-wp5936

extreme sports Wingsuit sky diving White Water Rafting Windsurfing Snowkiting

No comments:

Post a Comment