Wednesday, October 3, 2012

After UFC on Fuel 5 win, Dan Hardy promises he has "a lot of things coming still"

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

HardyDan_CG150_14.jpg
Dan Hardy defeating Amir Sadollah at UFC on Fuel 5 on Saturday wasn't necessarily a surprising outcome, but the way that he accomplished that win was certainly quite different than expected. Hardy showcased an improved grappling game, taking down Sadollah on numerous occasions in combination with his striking game to take a unanimous decision.

After the event, Hardy spoke to Fuel TV about his strategy into the fight, and showcasing a new skill set that he's been working on.

"Amir has a habit of pushing forward," Hardy said. "He is very aggressive after I drew him into a strike. I knew I was going to be able to bring him to his back. I was a little sluggish today I think the anxiety got to me a bit."

"I've got these skills now and I've been working on them for a year. I didn't get to use them in my last fight and they were a surprise in this card. I have a lot of things coming still, a lot of things I'm working on that I didn't get to show tonight."

Hardy had a hometown crowd cheering him on, fighting in Nottingham for the first time in his UFC career. Though he couldn't get the stoppage against Sadollah, he said it still marked a a great night for him.

"The target wouldn't go away tonight. I kept kitting him with some big arrows and he kept absorbing them," Hardy said. "[But] yes, it was great. Nottingham was a great venue for me. The fans are passionate and this arena means a lot to me."

Penick's Analysis: It was the most well-rounded Hardy has looked in his MMA career. He utilized a more-improved grappling game, out-struck Sadollah, and picked up a much needed second-consecutive win in the Octagon. He may never again be in title contention in the UFC, but he stopped the slide he was on, improved his game, and gave himself a chance to remain on the UFC's roster for a considerable time.

[Dan Hardy art by Cory Gould (c) MMATorch.com]

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_14535.shtml

Ebenezer Fontes Braga Chris Brennan Marcelo Brito  Rob Broughton  Mike Brown 

No comments:

Post a Comment