Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Honorio Banario: "I am ready to attack for three rounds if I have to but normally my opponents don't last that long."

Honorio Banario‘s name is not as well known as other Filipino fighters such as Eduard Folayang and Eric Kelly but the 6-1 featherweight is on a mission to change that next weekend. His bout with Andrew Benibe is penciled as the show-opener at ONE FC: Pride of a Nation and all eyes will be on these two Filipinos at an event expected to attract 16,500 fans.

An emphatic win for Banario, who holds the URCC lightweight belt, would thrust him instantly into the limelight, and, after winning six fights out of six in the Philippines, he is very confident of victory on August 31 as he made clear in an interview with Fighters.com.


“I have seen Andrew fight before so I know what to expect, I have been training very hard with Team Lakay and my condition is good and I believe I will win this fight, I am hoping for a first round knockout,” explained Banario.

The 24-year old is looking to get back into title contention after suffering a disappointing submission loss to top Korean featherweight Bae Young Kwon in his last outing. It was the first time he had ever experienced defeat and it left a bitter taste which has lingered longer than he would have liked.

“I did not get a chance to show what I can do at ONE FC because I lost in the first round,” admitted the frustrated fighter. “I am very happy that I have another opportunity to fight for the ONE FC and to show everyone what sort of a fighter I am, at Team Lakay we train to be aggressive and to fight very hard and I think the fans like that sort of style, it is entertaining.”

The fight against Kwon was Banario’s first at 145 pounds after competing his entire career at 159 pounds (the URCC lightweight limit). Though he says the weight cut was uncomfortable, het has learned from the experience and thinks things will be easier next time around.

In addition to his interest in redemption, it is also a good time for him to be getting back in the ONE FC cage because championship belts are going to be introduced as early as October. At present Kelly is the forerunner for the featherweight strap after beating Mitch Chilson and Kwon but Banario wants to work his way back into contention.

“Of course I want to challenge for the title but first I must win some fights. I am ready to fight anyone, I would like to fight Bae Young Kwon again but for now I am training to beat Benibe and I know that I need to win this fight to get my reputation back,” said Banario.

Kelly and Banario both came up through the Baguio scene and Kelly, who is the URCC featherweight champion, was once a member of Team Lakay. With both signed to ONE FC and competing at featherweight their paths could potentially collide even though Banario hopes it won’t happen too soon.

“Me and Eric sparred together a lot when he was training for his first fight for ONE FC although he is not in Baguio anymore,” he revealed. “I prefer not to fight against my fellow Filipino and I hope that ONE FC can find me opponents from other places in the world because I am very proud to represent the Philippines when I fight but it is not up to me, if ONE FC want the fight then it can happen.”

Before he can start thinking about title shots and future fights Banario must erase the memories of his last loss by winning at the Araneta Coliseum. He doesn’t want to offer any predictions but has never been to a decision in his entire career and doesn’t intend to start now,

“I always try to finish the fight, that is my style. I am confident in my Wushu but if I see the chance to go for the takedown I can do that too and I like to use the ground and pound to beat people up. I am ready to attack for three rounds if I have to but normally my opponents do not last that long.”

Fans can catch Banario-Benibe in streaming action when things fire up on August 31. ONE FC is broadcasting the entire event through their website.

PHOTO CREDIT – ONE FC

Source: http://www.fighters.com/08/23/honorio-banario-i-am-ready-to-attack-for-three-rounds-if-i-have-to-but-normally-my-opponents-dont-last-that-long

Eddie Alvarez Thiago Alves  Andre Amade  Dean Amasinger  Jimmy Ambriz

No comments:

Post a Comment